All About My Mother

It's not my habit to write about movies on this blog, but I was inspired. Namely, last night I watched All About My Mother by Pedro Almodovar who wrote the screenplay (did I get that right?) and directed it.

Watched it before and I remember loving it. It was released back in 1999.

The second time around, I notice new details previously unobserved or forgotten. 

The first 20 minutes are pure genius to me. Such a beautiful intimate portrait of a mother and son having a simple conversation about writing, movies, and translation of the movie titles. Going to the theater to watch the Street Car Named Desire, simple everyday stuff. A snippet reminding me almost of my childhood. 

The story is so intricate, that  it reminds me of a braid. It's packed with details within each scene, like references to old Hollywood movies, great novels, forged Chagalls, organ donation and translation, dementia, acting, actors, junkies, drags, drugs, jealousy, envy, paranoia, and finally the dedication to everyone who want to be a mother.

The colors used, the characters and the story structure, surreal, childish at times, including editing (at least that's how it looks to me) make you want to see what happens next. Plus this editing reminds me for some reason of pop-up books. I don't know why.


Full of pathos and comic relief so it's not heavy at all, it flows smoothly, not boring, with unexpected turns.


Superb.

Almost every female character wears red, usually coats. The color red is obviously a symbol of motherhood, womanhood, human heart, bleeding with love and suffering for another, passion. Blue probably represents sadnesses, melancholy, failure, death. 

In my opinion some parts of the story could have been easily dropped, like that drag comic relief near the end.

I haven't noticed any huge thoughts or memorable lines. Maybe that's me. Definitely it's me. Anyway,I  can't remember any, at the top of my head.

Some characters are uttering lines downright ridiculous to me. 

Be as it may, the film sticks with you and lingers on.


I recommend you should watch it if you haven't or watch it again if you have.

Comments