GET TO KNOW YOURSELF II


Getting to know yourself is a life-long process if you ask me. I have always been the type to poke, dig and root inside myself and have been forever asking the question "why" everything happens, and why I or others are like this or that. 

The funny thing, though, is - the more you dig the more you seem to be your own mystery. What a paradox! The more I dig the less I know about myself, but it seems, the more I get to know the other person! The more I get to know myself the more I understand other humans and their motivation. Or maybe that is an illusion? The illusion that I will ever be able to get to know myself or others fully.

 If that be the case, there would be no mystery left. And the mystery is needed. Not a mystification, mind you but a good old-fashioned mystery of the other and of the self.  You can get to know others also by reading books, newspapers, watching Youtube, etc, but there is nothing like introspection. 

Introspection requires time spent on your own. Time away from people, work, play, and any kind of media, not just TV or the news. That is why I have learned to appreciate loneliness and stillness. The arch-enemy of stillness is the disquiet of everyday life, information galore, or better to say information gluttony, among others. Information gluttony is one of my weaknesses. 

In my case, I really need to focus on the fact that information fasting is the best course of action. I need to focus on the fact that endless scrolling on my phone will only exacerbate my procrastination problem. I will never get anything of importance to me, done unless I turn the damn social apps and internet off. Unless I turn my phone, my computer, my TV off, in a word. Until then I will be just an attempt at a story and not a finished story.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed this one. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to stop by. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment