AKUTAGAWA`S RHAPSODY OR THE REMINISCENCIES OF A TIME


I am thinking about what to write next about one of my favorite Japanese authors and personality. He had three children. His eldest child, Akutagawa Yasushi (
芥川 也寸志, Akutagawa Yasushi, July 12, 1925 – January 31, 1989) was a composer and conductor. I am fascinated by languages and scripts so I had to copy-paste this info from Wikipedia along with the Japanese Kanji characters. Kanji means Chinese. Yes, they adopted the Chinese characters and culture and made a sort of an idiosyncratic amalgam out of it. A remarkable meeting point there in the script between the two differing nations. A love-hate relationship, which is something I find familiar as between the Serbians and Croats. But that is a long story.

 Enough with the digression. Yasushi Akutagawa was a splendid composer in my humble opinion. I love classical music and his Rhapsody of 1971 is reminiscent of Russian or rather Soviet composers like right off the bat Rachmaninoff or Stravinsky or some other such composer; maybe even the Armenian Khachaturian, Edvard Grieg`s "Peer Gynt", or "Hungarian Rhapsody" by Franz Liszt. Turns out, according to Wikipedia, he was friends with some of those Soviet composers. I am not very well versed in Soviet composers. I just caught a glimpse of their music on Radio Belgrade 2, at high school and I remember my father had a small LP collection of the music I found boring as a kid. 

Now the memories are starting to pour in. Radio Belgrade in general, during the `80s and the `90s of the last century, was a treasure of sorts and a shelter from the crazy Balkan wars and the world in general. No one asked me where I am going to be born or if I wanted any wars. How insignificant I was and still am. Radio Belgrade was there to alleviate my soul. It still continues in its own footsteps. Conservativism that appeals to me so much because it is one of the things that remains steadfast in the everchanging world.

Radio Belgrade 2 still has the leading role in promoting classical music. I must admit I don`t listen to it anymore and now I'm thinking of going back to it. Not as a means of escape but nostalgia. 

As I am listening to Akutagawa`s Rhapsody I am definitely being transferred to another world, not to mention the cinematic vibe it conveys. Here is the definition of the rhapsody from Wikipedia, "A rhapsody in music is a one-movement work that is episodic yet integrated, free-flowing in structure, featuring a range of highly contrasted moods, color, and tonality. An air of spontaneous inspiration and a sense of improvisation make it freer in form than a set of variations." 

The last sentence is the key, for me. Freedom in everything artistic is the key to originality. Rules constrain. Stifle. Some people like the rules because they make them feel safe, less frightened of the unknown or unpredictable. Rules are for those who are practical, pragmatic, and efficient. I am not saying the opposite is better. None of those is better per se. Rules make your life easier. Improvisation bears a particular danger of failure. You are always on the edge. 

There is no quality in improvisation or rigid planning. They are just that - a means to an end. The end result should be originality. We should strive for originality, which is a hard task but not an unattainable one. Doesn't matter if we fail at it. At least we tried and learned something in the process. Or maybe there is nothing original on the face of the earth and cannot be. Remember Plato`s theory of ideas. Anyway, learning is my driving force and what`s sustaining me. So as I am writing this I am learning about R. Akutagawa`s son and am impressed how music connects people. how true enthusiasts do not care about wars. I am aiming at the Russo-Japanese or Soviet-Japanese war of which I have yet to learn. 

For the time being, I am listening to Akutagawa`s opus on YouTube, where else. Here is Prima Sinfonia that is so reminiscent of the Polovtsian Dances. Just let me mention my fascination with people who were artists and doctors at the same time. Like Chekov, Borodin and our own poet Jovan Jovanovic Zmaj (Zmaj means dragon in Serbian). What chromosome bears the two unequal dissimilar talents?

 

Comments