THE SIGNS OF THE TIMES

       Good old Sljiva (plum brandy); smooth, a bit watery for my taste; not pungent; no need to be refrigerated, therefore. Mild. 
From 1 - 10, it’s 6 for me.

    

All of a sudden I feel all alone. Abandoned by my so-called friends. That’s because I am stupid. I expect one decent hello, how are you, or whatever (thankfulness in some shape without being obvious). Yes, I cannot stand people going through the motions but sometimes even that is better than silence.

How silence can hurt. I experienced that many a time. I hurt and was hurt. I guess that’s justice. I learned that at a young age. Do good and don’t fear anything; do bad and expect consequences. This is derived from a Russian novel about Buratino and his adventures written by Aleksey Tolstoy. The Soviets made an animated movie which became one of the absolute cornerstones of my childhood.

Why do I feel abandoned? Ok, not 100% percent lonely. There are two people that show interest in what’s going on in my life at the moment given my dad’s illness. I know why the rest “abandoned me”. They cannot stand illness. We have a lot of friends who died of cancer and one more story like that is just way too much. You just can’t take in any bad news anymore. Fatigue. But I have just one thing to say. If you don’t like bad news, turn the tv off and stop scrolling for the news. Maybe in that way, you might have enough energy left for your friends in need to be asked “how are you”. I promise I will not bother you with the heavy story. Because as my dad says in the words of a Serbian proverb, that loosely translates, “what needs to be done and gone through is not hard at all”.

So cheers, as I pour myself a shot of rakia. At work. Who cares. That’s one of the signs of the times we live in. Being unable to carry the burden of a friend in need, at least for one second. The war is coming. Merry Christmas. Good luck! And good night.

Comments