Neuroscience as a tool

 One of my takeaways from this lecture as far as I understand it is that by training to use the prefrontal cortex we downplay negative emotions such as anger. They do not specifically talk about this topic but that is my conclusion. Dr. Huberman is telling us about his immediate initial potential reaction to one of the disagreeable triggering comments on his Twitter page. Instead of flipping the person over with his knowledge, he chose to stop and use the prefrontal cortex to apply a different set of thoughts. I do not know if he gave a reply or maybe he ignored it. I always vote for ignore if the person was malicious and wanted to provoke a heated argument.

I think this is a very useful tool but not very easy to apply let's say in a situation with a covert narcissist parent or any other type of toxic narcissistic emotionally manipulative words or behavior. This tool needs to be exercised and practiced on colleagues, or other toxic displays such as queue jumpers. Easy to burst at them or to if the reaction is withheld, hard not to feel the blood pressure going up, because of suppression. St Joseph the Hesychast said particularly on anger that every time we do not give it a word and space to act, anger subsides in increments until it is subdued. This also begs God`s help, repentance, and putting up the fierce fight with fasting, prayer, and tears. Otherwise, it is futile. No fruit. 

However, this type of exercise is for the monastics. For us laymen, the situation is more lenient. I think we get immediate quick help from Panagia if we turn to Her. If a layman can use stricter fasting and prayer, so much the better. For the past 15 years, I managed to get to know myself very well. All of the mentioned above presupposes trying to be humble before God. Otherwise, it is in vain like dust in the wind.

So, I managed to get to know myself very well. Not a pleasant sight. But at least I know what I am fighting against. I can recognize the enemy even if he jumps me unexpectedly.

For those who are not believers, I think God helps even faster. So hold on tight, buckle up and be prepared to use the prefrontal cortex, exercise mindfulness, be kind and forgive yourself and those who instigate anger. Good luck.


Here is the superb video


Comments