EATING HEALTHY IS A HABIT THAT CAN BE LEARNED

Eating healthy can be challenging and daunting. It has to be a permanent decision. Also, it is a habit that needs to be built. Healthy eating habits were instilled in me as a child. I like fast food but have experienced its downsides like iron deficiency. I have learned my lesson. Healthy eating is an investment in overall wellbeing.

 First, we need to recognize that our health is a primary asset in our life. Next, we can arrange for a check-up and ask the doctor to prescribe a balanced diet. Next, we need to build that habit, which is far from simple. To make it easier to build a healthy habit, we can set achievable goals and break them down into small steps. We can also focus on the benefits of a healthier lifestyle, rather than on the effort it takes to get there. This will help us stay motivated and make it easier to stick to our routine.

As a first step, I find it helpful to consume at least one fruit a day. Later on, as my brain and palate get used to different tastes, I try to add more and more to my diet. I usually skip fruits that I dislike or that make stomach cramps. Logical, isn`t it? But then again, sometimes I just eat the ones I don't like anyway, because 'no pain no gain'... Right?

There is also a question of what healthy food is in the times of moderately processed fast foods and even faster eating. I think that people generally consider organic food healthy. On the other hand, many people argue that we cannot trust food producers, as there have been countless scandals in which "organic" food was found to be anything but. In these cases, it is often more expensive for the consumer, and provides no real benefit. What else can we do, right?


I came to the conclusion that most of the food we eat is low in nutrients and therefore cannot be energetically beneficial. Therefore, since groceries bought in regular stores seem to be low in energy, I need to consume organic food which is not always financially feasible.

Once I make a firm decision to eat healthy as often as possible, it can be made simple. From my experience, organic food is better and richer in taste, so that is usually how I know if it is really organic, in laymen's terms. It does not become stale very quickly and can be stored longer, depending on the sort, obviously. Organic fruits can also be smaller in size. 

Like I mentioned above, I had my bouts of fast food eating. By having a heavy ferritin deficiency, I developed severe anemia. So, given how challenging it is to get ferritin levels back in order, and how time-consuming the process is, I decided to focus more on fruits and vegetables.

I add in lean proteins like fish, chicken or beans, choose whole grains like quinoa, barley and oats, and include healthy fats such as olive oil, nuts and avocados. 

Obviously, I cannot maintain this type of diet every day if I do not make a meal plan. Meal planning is out of the question for some people, like me, because I prefer to "surprise" myself with unexpected meal ideas. I like spontaneity and creativity, so I usually do not plan.

Fasting and healthy eating require some pre-planning to ensure that they are financially feasible. Later it becomes easier because it becomes a habit. Establishing a new habit is always difficult at first. New habits are formed through repetition. Patience and diligence are needed. If I relapse into fast food, I have to start all over again.

However, each time I come back to healthy eating, I pick up where I left off. It means, since the neural paths have already been formed this time they need a few new sparkles of energy imulses to get me back on track.

Finally, I limit processed foods, added sugars and unhealthy fats. It is not realistic to expect people to eat only organic and no processed foods. Eating healthy can be a tough task, but it is also fun and delicious! 

No pain no gain!

Comments