Adventures in bread-baking



I learned a new word yesterday and consequently a new action. This new word is "autolyze". It sounds like NASA terminology.

It is not as complicated as it sounds. It is mixing flour and water. Very fancy wording. Ha ha. Very easy, actually. I have no idea how people come up with such fancy words like that. Boredom? Culinary science? Science? It is physics, really, or the way of nature. It is natural. People have done that million years before and now someone comes up with a word. Enough with the bitching.

The word means auto-analysis and not mixing anything as the video states.  
Sounds destructive. Auto-destructive. In nature, we can witness all sorts of curiosities and contradictions. As in this case where something is not destroying itself but rather transforming. Tranformation. Changing of form. Or transcending the original form. Enough with the empty philosophizing. 

Here is the process as shown in the video below.


My question is, what is this for anyway? Here is one benefit for me, 

"Gluten bonds begin developing with no effort on the part of the baker, and kneading time is consequently reduced."

It`s not that I am lazy, but I can be exhausted these days so I need easy bread-making techniques. Here is the link where the process is explained in detail. Too much info for me. 

I particularly love this part,

"The dough becomes more extensible (stretchy), which allows it to expand easily. This leads to easier shaping, greater loaf volume, a more open crumb structure, and cuts that open more fully."
Greater loaf volume is what I am aiming at. I will try this with spelt. I do not expect the loaf to be huge, though. We`ll see. 
 

     

Comments