BY FAINT INDIRECTIONS

AMONG THE MULTITUDE


AMONG the men and women the multitude,
I perceive one picking me out by secret and divine signs,
Acknowledging none else, not parent, wife, husband, brother,
child, any nearer than I am,
Some are baffled, but that one is not — that one knows me.
Ah lover and perfect equal,
I meant that you should discover me so by faint indirections,
And I when I meet you mean to discover you by the like in you.

Poem by Walt Whitman

Half my soul, baby, belongs to you
Bob Dylan 



Ok, there's nothing to add here. Everything is clear.
Happened to me. Meeting someone out there who knows me and I know them.
No, it's not a fairytale. It's real. And can be painful. That's how you know things are real - they hurt. 
I also contain multitudes.
Sometimes I am scared of that containing. Because there are bad things there. Scary, evil things creeping and lurking in the shadows. 
It's not always about sunshine and rainbows. Life is everything. Everything you can and can't imagine. Human nature can be worse than the nature of animals. We all know that because we experienced it on our skin.
Containing multitudes is not a joyride. And the truth is, if we really and utterly contained and hold every good or evil thing, we would probably be dead.
So no, we contain multitudes as a metaphor that we should be observant of others and treat them humanely. After all, we here on Earth to love.




Someone out there in the crowd,
Knows me better than anyone closest to me.
A stranger coming from the multitudes,
Recognizes my eyes better than my mother, or any brother, husband, friend, or child.
Maybe they are not a stranger after all,
but strangely aware of my existence. 
Directed towards me by some divine or predestined light,
Treading the path unseen and unknown, but fiercely treading without a fear.
Unused to this feeling of familiarity,
I shrink away, hoping that that someone will follow.

Comments